Assistant Superintendent of Instruction & Learning
Job Title: Assistant Superintendent of Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Instruction and Learning Salary Range: $74,856-$103,352
Reports to: Superintendent Pay Grade: 8
Dept./School: Administrative Date Revised: 4/20/2017
Top of Form
Under direction of the Superintendent: direct, plan, evaluate, and provide leadership for all instructional and learning programs of the District.
Assist with budget development and expenditures for all instruction-related programs. Provide leadership of central office functions related to instruction and accountability for student performance, including but not limited to curriculum development, instructional leadership, professional development, and assessment of learning.
- Master’s Degree required (doctorate preferred) from an accredited college or university with specialization in the area of curriculum, instruction, or administration, and supervisory experience in one or more of these areas.
- Administrative certification required / Superintendent certification preferred
- Have Texas certification (or able to acquire within specified state or local guidelines) credentials necessary to serve in the position.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, oral and written communication and human relations skills.
- Knowledge of educational philosophy; law; educational research; methods and techniques of instruction; curriculum; staff development; current educational issues; policies and procedures of the district, state, and federal government.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of cutting-edge technology for instruction and administrative functions.
- Ability to provide organizational leadership to plan, allocate resources, implement and evaluate instructional programs in the District.
- Ability to formulate ideas and communicate effectively
- Strong writing and technology skills necessary for producing comprehensive reports and making presentations
- Innovative and creative thinking skills with demonstrated ability to conceptualize, lead, and evaluate large scale educational projects.
- Perform related work as required.
- At least three (3) years of successful experience as a teacher
- At least three (3) years of successful experience as a school administrator, principal experience preferred
- Experience as an instructional leader working with diverse populations, experience providing leadership in planning, supervising and implementing instructional programs. Knowledge of instructional framework. Experience with coordinating use of shrinking resources to maximize benefits of the instructional program for students’ benefit. Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a complex and diverse school system; and wide range of varied experiences across school systems and education institutes.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- To serve on the superintendent’s leadership team.
- Assist with board agenda items pertaining to areas of responsibility.
- Provide leadership that promotes high expectations for performance and positive staff morale
- Build and sustain strong teams that support high levels of success.
- Build and sustain strong systems for supporting high levels of success using data-driven decision making in a continuous improvement model.
- Direct and coordinate the annual review and analysis of student data to make program improvement recommendations to the Superintendent.
- Provide consistent, positive, strong leadership while modeling commitment to the District’s vision, mission, and priorities.
- Read and/or review current educational research and best practices and assume leadership in implementation of those practices that will enhance effectiveness of programs and services.
- Direct instruction and curriculum services to meet student needs.
- Assist with coordinating training needs within the district.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate instructional programs, learning objectives, instructional strategies, and assessment techniques.
- Oversee development, customization, horizontal, and vertical alignment of the District’s curriculums.
- Supervise grading policies and procedures; provide for fairness and consistency, both district-wide and at the campus level; and ensure communication to parents of their child’s academic performance.
- Review procedures to document mastery of learning.
- Apply research to improve student achievement.
- Provide leadership in designing and developing new instructional programs and initiatives to meet identified student needs.
- Provide for periodic assessment and review of all curriculum and instructional materials to determine relevance to student needs and interests.
- Supervise and coordinate efforts with others in considering “effective schools”, “best practices”, research findings, and effective teaching practices.
- Provide leadership in policy development related to curriculum and instruction.
- Communicate a vision of what the District can and should achieve, and motivate the instructional staff to achieve improvement goals.
- Assist instructional department staff in providing for systematic evaluation of the effectiveness of instructional program and formulate plans for improvement.
- Collect and utilize data to inform decisions.
- Oversee coordination of an array of instructional programs to meet the needs and enrich the educational experience of all students in the District.
Human Capital/Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management:
- Motivate and encourage principals and other staff to implement innovative instructional strategies and programs, following the District’s curriculum.
- Utilize collaborative decision-making with instructional staff and campus staff when appropriate.
- Provide leadership of professional development and training programs for all staff members including current and prospective administrators.
- Assist with budget development to ensure that resources are properly aligned with district and campus needs.
- Supervise workload of department staff and facilitate a climate of continuous improvement.
- Meet all Federal, State, and Local Policies
- Ensure compliance with SBOE rules, TEA accreditation requirements, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Adhere to all Board policies and District administrative procedures.
- Respond to instruction and/or curriculum concerns voiced by parents and others from the community.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Actively pursue opportunities for life-long learning and professional growth.
- Use creative and critical thinking in designing and managing systems for student support services, staff management, and problem-solving.
- Promote research and development work to identify new and innovative instructional programs and practices.
All other duties as assigned by supervisor or superintendent.
- Supervises workload of department staff and facilitates a climate of continuous improvement..
- Effectively evaluate assigned staff as required by federal, state, local laws, policies and procedures.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Must maintain emotional control and exercise reasoning and problem solving skills while under stress. Must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written). Should be able to interpret procedures and analyze data for decision-making. Frequent in-district and occasional in-state or national travel. Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
Safety: Perform all duties in a safe and responsible manner. Observe all safety precautions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.