Brule Elem. - Campus Professional - Nurse/LVN (EC-6)
QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES:
QUALIFICATIONS The School Nurse shall have at least:
- Graduated from an accredited professional nursing education program.
- A valid registered nurse license to practice professional nursing in Texas from the State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Two years nursing experience.
- CPR certification
- Certification in hearing and vision screening. (Can be obtained after being employed.)
REPORTS TO: Principal of assigned campus
JOB GOAL: The School Nurse shall assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive program of health services for the school including the provision of a safe and healthy environment for students and promoting good health practices among students.
DUTIES: The School Nurse shall:
- Comply with and assist in upholding state, district, and school policies.
- Assist in developing policies and procedures to comply with federal and state laws concerning health and safety.
- Practice with in the defined limits of the Texas Nurse Practice Act.
- Evaluate the school health program and recommend improvements in policies and procedures.
- Provide individualized professional nursing care to students and staff who are ill or injured while at school and maintain documentation of nursing care provided.
- Secure medical care for students in emergency cases if parents or emergency contact persons cannot be reached.
- Develop procedures for the storage and administration of medications and ensure compliance with such procedures, according to school district policy.
- Administer medications to students and maintain documentation of medication administration according to district policy.
- Maintain individual health records on students, including immunization records and parental authorization for emergency medical care.
- Review immunization records and ensure compliance with immunization requirements.
- Conduct vision, hearing, and spinal screening with referral and followup as required by state law.
- Submit reports for immunization compliance, vision screening, hearing screening, and spinal screening as required by state law.
- Serve as a resource person for the faculty, staff, administration, and school nurse assistants in matters relating to health and safety and health education.
- Provide health counseling and teaching on an individual basis, using school health services as a means of direct and indirect health education.
- Confidentially confer with the campus faculty and staff regarding student health problems on a need to know basis.
- Assist in developing plans to meet educational needs of students with special health care needs, including participation in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committees as requested.
- Assist in the prevention and control of communicable disease according to the requirements of the Texas Department of Health and district policy through health teaching, immunizationcompliance, and the identification and isolation of possible communicable conditions.
- Serve as a health advocate for students.
- Serve as health liaison between school, physician, parents, and community, including community health agencies.
- Requisition and manage inventory of health supplies and equipment.
- Promote wellness and provide information to encourage healthy life styles among students and staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.