Job Title: Child Nutrition Secretary Exemption Status/Test: Nonexempt
Reports to: Direc tor of Child Nutrition Date Revised: June 7, 2021
Dept./School: Central Office
Ensure efficient operation of child nutrition administrative office and provide clerical services as directed.
High School Diploma or GED
Proficient typing, word processing, and file maintenance skills
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to use personal computer and software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Knowledge of basic accounting principles
Ability to follow both written and verbal instructions
One to three years of secretarial or school district experience, preferably in public education environment or comparable cafeteria manager experience.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Records, Reports, and Correspondence
1. Follow federal and state law policies in processing applications for the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program (NSLBP).
2. Generate monthly and yearly reports pertaining to the NSLP, NSBP and Summer Feeding Program.
3. Generate and upkeep of Direct Certification List/ Homeless List.
4. Annual Direct Verification Report and Verification of Application as mandated by Texas Department of Agriculture.
5. Prepare catering invoices and track billing for Child Nutrition Department.
6. Prepare monthly accounts payables billing for submission to Director for coding.
7. Generate monthly and yearly reports pertaining to the NSLP, NSBP and Summer Feeding Program and submit to director for approval.
8. Accurately tabulate time cards and overtime hours to be approved by Director.
9. Prepare written correspondence forms, schedules, or reports using typewriter or personal computer.
10. Prepare instructional materials, meeting agendas, and office communication as requested, using personal computer.
11. Assist in securing consultants, specialists, training materials and resources as directed to promote department objectives.
12. Assist in training activities as directed or needed in the Child Nutrition Department.
13. Assist in the cost-effective and efficient system for procuring of food and nonfood materials meeting federal procurement and Texas Education Agency standards.
14. Assist in security measures to protect food, supplies, and equipment in cafeterias, lunchrooms and warehouses.
15. Receive and record daily deposits, grocery receipts and catering event materials.
16. Process repair/work orders, equipment repairs, or special ordered items.
17. Assist Director in maintaining communication between Director, managers, School Administration, parents, students, and community.
18. Daily communication of child nutrition computer network information to and from campuses.
19. Attend workshops, seminars and professional conferences in order to maintain certifications and gain professional knowledge beneficial to the Child Nutrition Department.
Reception and Phones
20. Schedule meetings and appointments and maintain calendar for Director.
21. Assist students, teachers, parents, and administrators as needed.
22. Receive incoming calls; take reliable messages and route to appropriate staff.
23. Maintain physical and computerized files including NSLBP database program, meeting agendas, and office communications.
24. Update handbooks, manuals and other documents as assigned.
25. Maintain Maintenance Log equipment for effectively documenting Repair Work Orders.
Accounting and Inventory
26. Perform routine bookkeeping tasks including simple mathematic operations to maintain department records.
27. Prepare and process purchase requisitions.
28. Receive, store, and issue supplies and equipment.
29. Prepare and make cash deposit as necessary of student and faculty accounts.
30. Maintain purchase requisition ledger as directed.
31. Assist with coordination of department and campus meetings and activities.
32. Maintain inventories as directed.
33. Maintain confidentiality.
34. Sort, distribute or deliver mail and other documents.
35. Assist in answering Central Office phones as needed.
36. Assist in other departments as needed.
37. Assist with the preparation of materials for mailing, including preparing labels, stuffing envelopes, etc.
In the absence of Director of Child Nutrition will make sound and informed decisions regarding the daily questions handled by the Child Nutrition Department.
Equipment Used: Multi-line phone system, personal computer, calculator, printer, typewriter, fax machine and copier.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions.
Repetitive hand motions, prolonged use of computer.
Moderate standing, bending, lifting and stooping. Prolonged sitting.
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills that may be required. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Printed Name: _________________________________________________________________________
Signature: _________________________________________ Date: ______________________________