SPECIAL EDUCATION COOP- SPEECH THERAPIST
Job Title: Speech Therapist Exemption Status/Test: Exempt/Professional
Reports to: Director of Special Education Date Revised: February 11, 2020
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
Plan and provide speech-language therapist services to students with speech, voice, or language disorders; provide therapeutic intervention to eliminate or reduce problems or impairments that interfere with their students’ ability to derive full benefit from the educational program.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignment
Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction for special needs
Effective communication skills
Student teaching, approved internship, or related work experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Provide prevention strategies through in-service training and consultation
2. Follow IEP goals and objectives for children with speech and/or language impairments
3. Provide speech and/or language services through a variety of services delivery models to children in need
4. Provide information to parents, children, and teachers regarding speech and/or language impairments
5. Compile, maintain and file all records and other documents required by federal, state, or district policies
Student Growth and Development
1. Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
2. Maintain professional relationships with parents, students, and colleagues.
3. Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
4. Keep informed of and comply with federal, state, district, and school regulations and policies for special education teachers.
5. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
6. Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
7. Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Direct the work of instructional aide(s).
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used : Personal computer and peripherals, and other instructional equipment
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: May require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and positioning of students with physical disabilities, control behavior through physical restraint, assist nonambulatory students, and lift and move adaptive and other classroom equipment; may work prolonged or irregular hours
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Reviewed by Date
Received by Date