Job Title: Substitute Teacher - Short-term Assignment Exemption Status/Test: Exempt/Professional
Reports to: Principal Date Revised:
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
Provide students with appropriate learning activities, instruction, and supervision by implementing the lesson plans as directed by the absent teacher, principal, or other responsible staff.
High school diploma/GED, some college hours, or associate degree
Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Experience managing groups of students and providing instruction, or related work experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Implement lesson plans and instructional activities provided by the absent teacher or designated staff.
2. Use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned and present subject matter according to the lesson plans.
3. Work cooperatively with teachers to modify curriculum for students as needed or noted in lesson plans.
Student Growth and Development
4. Be a positive role model for students; support mission of campus and school district.
Classroom Management and Organization
5. Submit attendance reports.
6. Implement a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
7. Manage student behavior in accordance with the lesson plans, Student Code of Conduct, and student handbook.
8. Supervise students at all times.
9. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
10. Maintain a clean and orderly classroom and follow the classroom and school procedures as directed by the school.
11. Leave notes or complete the approved substitute teacher report form at the end of the teaching day.
12. Report any accidents or incidents.
13. Communicate in a friendly and positive manner towards students, parents, staff, and administrators.
Professional Growth and Development
14. Partic ipate in substitute training and activities to improve job-related skills.
15. Comply with all state, district, and school regulations and policies for teachers.
16. Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Direct the work of assigned instructional aide(s) if applicable.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used : Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; [P.E. teachers: automated external defibrillator (AED)]
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); may lift and move textbooks and classroom equipment
Environment: Work inside, may work outside; regular exposure to noise
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Reviewed by Date
Received by Date
Pay: $10 to $12.50/hour
$80.00 to $100.00 Daily
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 230717001